39-carat blue diamond found in South Africa
April 1, 2021
A high-quality blue diamond weighing 39.34 carats has been recovered from Petra Diamonds’ Cullinan mine in South Africa.
The Type IIb diamond is of exceptional quality, the company says, both in colour and clarity.
Petra anticipates the diamond will be sold via special tender.
Cullinan has produced many notable finds in recent years, including:
- ‘Cullinan Heritage,’ a 507-carat rough white diamond, which sold for US$35.3 million in 2010;
- ‘Blue Moon of Josephine,’ a 29-carat rough blue diamond, which sold for US$25.6 million in 2014;
- ‘Cullinan Dream,’ a 122-carat rough blue diamond, which sold for US$25.3 million in 2016;
- ‘Legacy of the Cullinan Diamond Mine, a 424-carat rough white diamond, which sold for just under US$15 million in May 2019;
- a 20.08-carat Type IIb blue diamond, which sold for US$14.9 million (or $741,000 per carat) in November 2019;
- the ‘Letlapa Tala Collection’ of five blue diamonds (85.6 ctw), which sold as a suite of stones for US$40.36 million in November 2020; and
- an exceptional 299.3-carat Type IIa white gem quality diamond, which was recovered at the mine in January 2021 and sold for US$12.18 million last month.
- [Image]: https://www.jewellerybusiness.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/04/SA_Petra.jpg
- which sold for just under US$15 million: https://www.jewellerybusiness.com/news/425-carat-legacy-diamond-sells-for-15-million/
- which sold for US$14.9 million: https://www.jewellerybusiness.com/news/20-carat-blue-diamond-sells-for-14-9m/
- sold for US$12.18 million last month: https://www.jewellerybusiness.com/news/299-carat-diamond-sells-for-12m/
Source URL: https://www.jewellerybusiness.com/news/39-carat-blue-diamond-found-in-south-africa-2/
Copyright ©2021 Jewellery Business unless otherwise noted.