My hope is that by reading this article, appraisers will be willing to step outside their comfort zone to discover more about these extraordinary gems. The leading pearl suppliers are a small community who are extremely knowledgeable and passionate about what they do. I encourage you to meet them, attend lectures, and read the references included here. Then share this information with your fellow appraisers. I’m sure they will reciprocate and together you can elevate the standard of this wonderful profession.
References and resources
1) Pearl Guide Forum, a source of pearl information (http://www.pearl-guide.com/forum/content.php).
2) Kojima Pearl blog by Sarah Canizzaro (http://www.kojima”¨pearl.com/japan-kasumi-pearl-harvest-2015/).
3) Gemguide, a resource for pricing gems (https://gem”¨guide.com/the-gemguide/pricing-and-editions/).
4) Accredited Gemologists Association (AGA) offers twice yearly lectures on the latest developments in gemmology (http://accreditedgemologists.org).
5) Pearls by Elisabeth Strack, a seminal work on the science and history of pearls.
6) Margaritalogia by Elisabeth Strack, an in-depth newsletter on developments in the world of pearls (http://www.gemmologisches-institut-hamburg.de).
7) Abstracts on pearl lectures from AGA’s 2011 conference (http://accreditedgemologists.org/pastevents/2011abstracts/Strack.php).
Gina D’Onofrio has provided gemmological and jewellery appraisal services since 1992. She is an accredited senior appraiser, master gemmologist appraiser (American Society of Appraisers) and certified senior member of National Association of Jewelry Appraisers. D’Onofrio is co-instructor for the American Society of Appraiser’s GJ-202 appraisal report writing for insurance coverage class. She may be contacted via e-mail at email@example.com.