The Sydney Opera House set the scene for the launch of Rio Tinto’s Argyle Pink Diamonds Tender.
Known as the ‘Connoisseur’s Collection,’ the tender comprises 65 diamonds that are some of the most vivid pink and red stones unearthed from the Argyle mine.
“This collection is one of the most beautiful in the history of the Argyle Pink Diamonds Tender,” said Rio Tinto Diamonds and Minerals chief executive, Alan Davies.
“The unique combination of colour, shape, and clarity of these diamonds will ensure it is a very special collection. The Argyle Diamond Mine has changed the course of the history of pink diamonds and this year’s Argyle Pink Diamonds Tender is testament to this extraordinary mine that continues to produce the world’s most sought-after gems.”
The collection includes five ‘hero’ diamonds selected for their unique beauty and named in recognition of Argyle pink diamonds’ partnership with the Australian Ballet. They are:
• Argyle Prima, a 1.20-carat fancy red pear-shape diamond;
• Argyle Aurora, a 1.47-carat fancy red oval-shape diamond;
• Argyle Allegro, a .79-carat fancy red radiant-shape diamond;
• Argyle Spectre, a 1.93-carat fancy vivid purplish-pink shield-shape diamond; and
• Argyle Élevé, a 1.44-carat fancy intense pink emerald-shape diamond.
The 2015 Argyle Pink Diamonds Tender will have viewings in Sydney, Hong Kong, New York City, and Perth. Bids close Oct. 21.